Monday, April 5, 2010

Grandma's Sewing Machine


Did you have a wonderful Easter weekend? Mine was incredible! The church service on Sunday morning was incredible and I have a peace unlike I have ever known!


The old sewing machine that I have posted today is the sewing machine my mother learned how to sew on at a very sweet young age of 7 years old. She started out with only handsewing and made so many dolls clothes. Finally at the age of 7, her mother let her sew on her sewing machine. After my grandma and grandpa moved to the nursing home, we rented out their home. Years later when we were ready to sell the farm, my mom, sister, and I took a trip to the country and went through the house, barn, and farmland for one last time down memory lane. They had a wonderful farm with sweet lanes lined with wild flowers, interesting old trees, and a babbling little brook. When we went into the barn, there was Grandma's sewing machine! It was covered with dirt and looked like it had been discarded. I immediately ran over to it and starting wiping away the grime and screamed with delight, "I want this!!" I didn't know how I was going to get it home for the car was pretty full but I knew no matter, this baby was coming home with me! Getting it home, I cleaned off the grime and then painted all the steel pieces that had turned rusty. I loved it! It will always be a treasure as my mom has taught me to sew as well....every time I pass it, I think of the history of seamstress' in my family. I don't sew near as much as I had when my daughters were little, but I hope that will soon change as I always enjoyed it and I should have more time now that the girls are grown!


Have a wonderful Monday!
Hugs,
Carolyn
Psalm 28:7

2 comments:

Lemon Lane Studio said...

You are such a beautiful storyteller. What a treasured find...can't wait till you get to play with it.

Carolyn said...

ahhh! thank you! you just made my day! :) actually, i had thought about writing a book...